November 13, 2012

week #14 in Angola ~ FIRST'S - 1ST Baptism, 1ST Elder from Lubango, and 1ST Tribal Dancers


Henriques Baptism - Elder Kelsey and Montgomery's (- first,) 
Baptized by Pres.Marques

First Elder EVER called from Lubango, he is going to Mozambique
First time to see Memhuilas Tribal Dancers in traditional dress for a wedding.

#14 from Angoal
Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:20 AM
OLA MINHA FAMILIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sorry I didn’t write yesterday! it was a national holiday so the internet cafe was closed. sorry also about the last two weeks I know I’ve been pretty bad in writing detailed emails!. I promise to be better this week though!
first off, highlight of the week!!! I HAD MY FIRST BAPTISM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
his name is Henriques Banda. me and Elder Kelsey taught his al the way through and he got baptized this Saturday, it was the most amazing thing to see him be baptized by the branch President  Marques, and to be able to give him a shirt and tie and welcome him into the church as he was confirmed Sunday morning. He is truly an amazing man and will be a future leader of the church here in Angola. it was so amazing to help him out of the font and to give him a hug and truly feel the spirit that was working in hi right then as he was literally he cleanest person in the world right then! HOLY COW. AWESOME AND AMAZING DAY. the second highlight, president Kretly and Elder and Sister Hartman, the area mental health advisors came this weekend to give us some training. Elder Hartman is the guy who wrote the book about people having colors and each person is different and their personalities and all that, really cool. he gave us training on how to know ourselves and the people we teach better so that we can infuse the spirit so that our investigators will be able to feel it most effectively. I found out that I am a white, which means I’m a peacekeeper and stuff like that. You can look up the profiles on google I’m sure. really cool though.
Then President Kretly gave us some training and also put on a fireside for a bunch of members and investigators about the seven habits de uma pessoa altimente efficaz. ( the seven habits of a highly effective person) obviously based off the book by steven r covey, because Pres Kretly was the president of Franklin Covey in brazil. Really cool and it was good for all the youth hear to see how they have to be the ones to control their own lives in order to become successful people who they want to be. really cool training.
The fourth highlight ahaahah was that there was a wedding across the street from the chapel/ our apartment this Friday Saturday and Sunday. The family hired tribal dancers and people from the local tribe from <Huila (the province the city Lubango is the capital of) the tribe is called Memhuilas. they are all around the city and stuff during the day because they sell things, but this time they were in front of the church for three days straight to put on a feast and to do tribal dancing and stuff for the party. it was so legit! Saturday we woke up to African drums and were like what is that!! so we went outside and their was like 35 to 40 Memhuilas dancing and singing. it was so cool. we took videos and pictures and it was definitely something I’ll never forget. true African tribal dancers hahaha so sweet! sorry for the pictures I sent if there are any bare chested women.. that’s just how they are! We’re all used to it by now because like I said, their everywhere. but the dancers were way super super cool!!!!!!
highlight number 5 was that the first missionary ever from Lubango got his mission call Saturday and opened it after the baptism! he’s going to Mozambique! really cool and excited or him. Here’s a picture of his call and him too sorry I took a picture of him doing the black power symbol ahahahahah
   But yeah this week has been totally amazing. I love it here in Lubango and I’m excited for all the baptisms that are coming up. I heard the day after that obama won the election, of course everyone here is suuuuuuper happy. you can imagine why ahhah but yeah, obama is really an icon for the African people.
Now to answer questions! or really there was only one I haven’t answered yet, about thanksgiving. We will be having it here in Lubango with the Violin’s. We call Sister Violin mom because she truly is the mom of Lubango. Mom its super funny, if sister violin and sister Thompsons looks and personalities were both combined, it would be you exactly!!!!!!!! super funny. but ya for Thanksgiving all the elders cook a family thing and Sister Violin cooks a turkey. I volunteered to do stuffing, but then I realized we just usually use the box kind ahah that’s my favorite,, BUT mom,. could you send a recipe for your homemade stuffing and for the oreo cream pie you make to Sister Violin and I’ll see if I can pull them off? if so that would be awesome.
   Well family, I hope you all like this email better than my past few. I know I was slacking sorry about that. but I love you all so much. I pray for and think about each and every one of you all every single day. I will try to be better at writing from now on. I love you all so much!!! I hope the pictures all get there so you can see the things I explained. I love you all! Have an amazing week everyone and know that I love ya’ll like noone other!!! Give my love to everyone and especially Graham, Claire, and Beau!!! I love you three! Graham, wassup mammy!!!!!!!!! haha anyways, everyone have amazing weeks. I love you all!!!!!
love, Elder Montgomery

No comments:

Post a Comment